Oct 3, 2008

The Round-Up!

So, prepare yourself for a hodge-podge post. Start your engines!

Evan and I are going back to the Conservative shul we went to a few weeks ago in West Hartford. We're hoping that we can talk the rabbi into sneaking us in to Yom Kippur services on Thursday. So cross your magen Davids and hope for the best. It's a nice shul, and I'm guessing more people will be there this Shabbat since it's between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. Alternatively, it could have a reverse affect and no one will be there. Either way, I'm stoked for more real-shul time.

I happ'd upon an article over on the Orthodox Union site about Yom Kippur/Kol Nidre, and I thought it was worth sharing: "You DO Have a Prayer. "

Then there is the debate talk. I don't even want to get very far into the Palin-Biden debate, but let's just say that the only reason Palin did "well" is because the bar for her was set so low it would have been impossible for her to have tripped over it. That being said, I'm pretty offended at her constant use of the quip "Never Again" to refer to the Wall Street fiasco -- can someone please let her know that that phrase is relegated to events of, oh, you know, Holocausts? To take such a significant set of words and throw it on a financial crisis that isn't really that big of a deal relative to past financial crises is offensive. And thanks to my friend Heather, this link has provided me with the Sarah Palin debate flow chart!

If you can't wait for Haveil Havalim on Sunday, Ilana-Davita did a good job of rounding up some posts from the week for your viewing pleasure. Just click here .

For those of you out there of the Jewish Mother persuasion, there's a new Blog Carnival on the block. You can head over to the In the Pink blog to check out how to register.

To close up the random round-up, everyone should head over to Mottel's blog for his Rosh Hashanah in Peru. Yes, despite our absolute differences in opinion about the election and politics, Mottel still takes some amazing photographs and has a lot of fascinating things to share about his worldly travels. And he's an all-around great person :)

Oh, and one more thing: I'm so stoked about the paper I'm going to write for my bible class about the Golden Calf incident. Nachmanides is my homeboy for this one, and unfortunately I disagree with Rashi and most other scholars regarding the purpose of the Golden Calf. I'm being crazy radical! Stay tuned for more!

And with that, I bid you all a Shabbat Shalom!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you about Sarah Palin's use of the phrase "never again." I found that move vulgar and uneducated, and it deepened my dislike for this person--as if it was possible for me to like her any less!

Good shabbos

Judah

Mottel said...

In the Erev Shabbos Rush, I missed your comment and link to me. Thanks, I'm touched. My beliefs are the same to you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for the link and the OU article. I mean to print it before Yom Kippur.

Chaviva Gordon-Bennett said...

Thanks for the comments all :)

Anonymous said...

Hmm. Well, I'm no great fan of Sarah Palin, but I'm a little (okay, a lot) unsure how her use of the phrase "never again" in the context of economics is so offensive (or vulgar, or uneducated, per another commenter). First of all, there are plenty of things that I would say "never again" about, few of which reach to the badness level of the Holocaust. There *are* other tragedies in the world.

But more importantly, regardless of what Palin meant or didn't mean by it, I think that anything which throws families into a panic over how they're going to pay for things might actually...deserve a "never again." The Wall St. crisis doesn't just affect a bunch of housing lendors - the inability of people to pay back their interest-only loans, as well as the fact that people's bonds and retirement savings are affected by the crash, is actually a pretty big deal to a lot of people. It affects them. So how 'bout we try criticizing Palin on matters of actual, you know, substance, and back far away from this Godwin's silliness?

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes Powered by Blogger | DSW printable coupons