Nov 25, 2008

Papers, Cards, and Wishes.

I've spent the past two days, hidden away in the Poconos, hammering out 30 pages of two papers -- one on the Golden Calf, the other on Qohelet. The calf paper has been turned out in 19 pages and I have at least five more to write. Qohelet isn't even halfway composed and it's already at 11 pages. I have about a week and a half to finish them, though in reality I only have about a week considering the next two days I'm going to be floating around New Jersey for Thanksgiving festivities and then comes Shabbat. I did, though, happen to get consoled by the falling snow this morning, which was a beautiful thing to wake up to in a little cabin-esque house in the woods of Pennsylvania. I'm pretty proud of my achieved compositions, not to mention the parve chocolate chip cookies I made and the dinner that's currently roasting in the oven. It has been a productive 48 hours.

The moment my papers are done, I'm going to settle in to composing Chanukah and Holiday cards. I know a lot of people don't send cards out anymore, but I do, because I firmly believe that people love real mail, especially this time of year. Yes, I tend to send out the form letter with the updates and news on my life (and this year there has been a LOT), but I also like to include plenty of personal notes on the card itself. So, if you would like to receive one of my dazzling Chanukah (if that's your flavor) or Holiday (if that's your other flavor) cards this holiday season, please e-mail me your mailing address! You can get to me by clicking on the "Contact" link at the top of the page, or by using chaviva at kvetchingeditor dot com.

In the meantime, if you're in the gift-giving mood, check out my Wish List on Amazon.com. Yes, it's all a bunch of Judaica books, but, you know, that's how I roll and books are my most favorite thing.


My Amazon.com Wish List


After papers, finals, and card-making are finalized, I head off to Israel on December 17 for 10 days of exciting trekking. I finally received the itinerary and cellphone rental information via email today, and it looks like there's going to be quite a bit of free time and independent dinner outings. I know at least one person on my bus, and I'm guessing (and hoping) that the rest of the people on the bus will be of the older persuasion (man I'm old and crotchety when it comes to college kids, heh). In fact, at this time next month, my trip will almost be over! My intent to stay an extra week won't come to fruition, as there are far too many external factors at work that just doesn't make it possible right now. Thus, I'm going to look into options for studying in Israel in the summer and see what I can pull up.

Be well, and Happy Thanksgiving!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have one - yes one only! - of the books in your wishlist! Kosofsky's Book of Customs. It is beautiful - not only to hold and experience, but also to read.

Enjoy, enjoy Thanksgiving. May the snow make it more beautiful.

Rachel

Anonymous said...

Psst - you may want to check your link to Jack on your 'MeMe' post. I don't think its correct...

Rachel

Anonymous said...

Chaviva,

Check out Easy 2 Send Cards...a great way to send out those holiday cards without leaving the house!

www.easy2sendcards.com

You can also sign up for a free account and try it first.

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Have a safe trip, be well.

Anonymous said...

Can I recommend Joseph Telushkin's Book of Jewish Literacy?

I realise that I just have, so if the answer's no, tough luck, girl!

Happy thanksgiving!

Chaviva Gordon-Bennett said...

@Rachel Ooo! Glad you like the book. Maybe I'll get it for myself :)

@Barb Thanks for the spam...

@Lorri Thank you!

@David I do have that book already. It was one of the first that I purchased, heh.

Anonymous said...

Good job!

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes Powered by Blogger | DSW printable coupons