Feb 8, 2009

Books of 5768, at last!

Here's the rundown of books I consumed in 5768. I'm really, really late to doing up this list, but what can you do? I've been quite busy. This is, unfortunately, an incomplete list as the year went on I lost track of many books I'd read. I've put asterisks next to the ones that I highly, highly recommend picking up. Now? I can start up my list for 5769 since we're many months in!


  • A Heart of Many Rooms by David Hartman
  • Boychiks in the Hood by Robert Eisenberg**
  • Choosing to Be Jewish: The Orthodox Road to Conversion by Marc D. Angel**
  • Conservative Movement in Judaism by Daniel Elazer and Rela Mintz Geffen
  • Davita's Harp by Chaim Potok**
  • Embroideries by Marjane Satrapi
  • Epileptic (Graphic Novel) by David B.
  • Exploring Exodus by Nahum Sarna**
  • Faith for Beginners by Aaron Hamburger
  • Heat by Bill Buford**
  • I Married a Communist by Philip Roth**
  • I Was a Child of Holocaust Survivors by Bernice Eisenstein
  • I'm Not the New Me by Wendy McClure**
  • In the Shadow of No Towers by Art Spiegelman
  • Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon**
  • My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok
  • Persopolis I and II by Marjane Sartrapi**
  • Rashi's Daughters, Book I: Joheved
  • (1/2 of) Rashi's Daughters, Book II: Miriam
  • The JPS Commentary on Ecclesiastes by Michael V. Fox
  • The Promise by Chaim Potok**
  • The Rabbi's Cat by Joann Sfar
  • The Search Committee by Marc D. Angel**
  • The Song of Songs by Ariel Bloch and Chana Bloch
  • Understanding Genesis by Nahum Sarna

5 comments:

Suburban Sweetheart said...

I've heard nothing but good things about Kavalier & Clay. What did you think? Should I pick it up?

Chaviva Gordon-Bennett said...

You know, there are times when it can feel a little begrudging, but it's one of my favorite books of all time that I've read. It's really long, and it has its ups and downs, but I would recommend it to just about anyone. I'm not even someone who is into comics or anything -- the story is so much more than that! READ IT!

Anonymous said...

I use ANoobii (a website) to keep track of what I am reading.

Schvach said...

Have you tried 'Guide to Jewish Religious Practice' by Isaac Klein?
It's Conservative Movement, but an excellent resource, a fairly comprehensive how to and what's it all about explanatory guide.

Chaviva Gordon-Bennett said...

@I-D I'm going to have to look into that. I've never heard of it!

@Schvach I haven't even heard of it, actually. I am going to Google it right now!

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes Powered by Blogger | DSW printable coupons