May 12, 2009

Come on Baby, Light My Fire!



It's Lag B'Omer! What's this mean? Well, it’s a tradition on the yahrzeit of Rabbi Shimon Bar Yohai, reputed author of the Zohar, to have a bonfire and celebration! In Israel, Mt. Meron is completely alight with bonfires and music (that was last night).


Now, for those wanting more info, here's what I can tell you: Lag B'Omer is essentially a way of saying the Thirty-Third Day of the Omer. The Omer is the count between Pesach and Shavuot (the day the Torah was given), and on Lag B'Omer all the restrictions are sort of put on hold and music and singing and dancing are all permitted and encouraged.


In the land of Chavi, this means I can finally get a haircut and Tuvia shaved his beard. To be honest, I kind of miss it. A lot. It was growing on me, actually. Now he has his baby face back, and it's taking some time to get used to it. 


Last year I was in Chicago for the Lag B'onfire, and this year there wasn't anything like that here. I vow to next year make plans a Lag B'onfire if the community will let me. Until then? Maybe I'll light a candle and hope for the best. 

3 comments:

Mottel said...

Technically wasn't the beard growing on him, not you? :-P

הצעיר שלמה בן רפאל לבית שריקי ס"ט said...

..I sometimes wonder about how having a beard might relate to intimate physical interactions..

Rivster said...

LOVE the title!!!

BTW, the Modern Jewish Mom (www.modernjewishmom.com) promised her kids s'mores for dessert last night if they could correctly explain the link between bonfires and Lag B'Omer.

She is soooo smart!!!

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes Powered by Blogger | DSW printable coupons